The founder of Biotechnology, Genentech, a Roche Company, embeds its core social environment and operational principles by integrating management systems processes and metrics.
Integrated EHS Management System
Using EHS management systems for measuring, improving, and demonstrating performance, Genentech formalized continual improvement processes through implementation of its risk management framework.
In 2012 energy efficiency came into its own, with product manufacturing and continual improvement practices.
What Veritatis did:
Veritatis Advisors, under contract to UL, organized third party certification services to the Hillsboro, OR plant for ISO14001 – Environmental Management, OHSAS18001 – Health and Safety Management, later adding ISO 50001.
In 2014 the integrated management systems paid off with energy consumption decreasing by 3.7% while sales grew 5%, thus decoupling energy consumption from the growth of business for the first time.
ISO 50001 Program Activities resulted in:
- 7% decrease in energy use in buildings and stationary equipment
- 5% decrease in car fuel consumption
- 0% increase in sustainable energy use (renewables)
- Total share of sustainable energy to 12.9% of consumption.
Energy Action Plan Tactics included:
- Retro commissioning HVAC systems
- Building automation control systems
- Boiler and chilled water systems, lab, utility system efficiencies
- Building shell improvements, HVAC set points
- Business changes
- K6 replace chillers and DX air conditioning
Behavioral Engagement Goes Mainstream
Embedding cultural change. The business side of sustainability is steeped in ROI, NPV, and other forms of financial analysis. Green teams are an exception to this rule at Genentech.
The Plan-Do-Check-Act driven employee engagement side is known as “Green Genes.” Green Genes focuses exclusively on educating, involving, and empowering Genentech employees to be more sustainable at work and at home.
Like any change management initiative, multiple plants across many regions brings diverse challenges. Veritatis guided them in approaches to this implementation.
Genetech – Our SHE goals and performance
Printer Friendly PDF:
Veritatis Advisors – Genentech